Steinberg Law’s attorneys are very experienced at handling cases involving motorcycle accidents, a common occurrence in Florida. As reported by the Governors Highway Safety Association, Florida led the nation in the number of motorcycle fatalities in 2017, having recorded 504 deaths. Fortunately, the overall number of motorcyclists killed in the United States – according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration motorcycle accident statistics – dropped to 5,172 in 2017, which is a 3 percent decrease from 2016’s number.
To summarize, riding a motorcycle is riskier in Florida compared to the other states. Many issues factor into causing these accidents: poor roads, bad protective equipment and bike defects. All of these can lead to a myriad of issues, including but not limited to spinal injuries, traumatic brain injuries, knee injuries, scrapes, and road rash.
If you are a victim of a motorcycle incident and live in the Palm Beach Gardens area, you should consider a free consultation with Steinberg Law.
Factors of motorcycle accidents
- Poor road conditions – The road may not be paved very well and be highly unsuitable for motorcyclists.
- Blind spots – Motorists may not look at their blind spots, which may lead to some devastating consequences.
- Drunk driving – Drunk driving is a common occurrence on the road, causing many injuries and fatalities each year.
- Lane-splitting – The act of weaving between cars in slow-moving or still traffic is known as lane-splitting. While the highly controversial action is legal in some states, lane-splitting is currently illegal in Florida.
- Driver negligence – A motor vehicle driver can strike a motorcyclist if they are engaging in distracted driving, such as texting, fidgeting with their phone’s music apps, etc.
Types of motorcycle accidents
- Head-on collision – A motorcycle may collide directly with a motor vehicle, which may result with the motorist colliding with the vehicle, causing death or major injuries, such as a traumatic brain injury.
- Turn collisions – Because a motorcycle is smaller, many vehicles, including trucks and cars, may miss it.
- Hitting fixed objects – This could include a tree, a sign, or any other stationary object. This could cause the motorcycle rider to be thrown from the cycle.
- Door accidents – A passenger or the driver of a vehicle may fail to inspect their surroundings as they open their doors, which could lead to a motorcycle crash.
Types of motorcycle accident injuries
- Road rash
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injury
- Wrongful death
- Spine injuries
- Knee injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Head injury
Steps to take when you are involved in a motorcycle accident
- Do not panic. Breathe. Maintaining a calm outlook will help you assess the details of the accident.
- Ensure that you’re unharmed. If you are suffering from any damages, please dial emergency services at 911.
- If uninjured, you should then inspect your passengers and whoever is involved in the accident. Do not move anyone who is injured. Most importantly, remain at the area of the accident. It is considered a crime to leave the scene of an accident.
- Contact the proper authorities. Do not admit fault for the accident until you have spoken with a motorcycle accident attorney. Furthermore, do not speak with anyone at the scene unless they are an authoritative figure.
- The police should collect details of the accident. Clearly provide the facts and nothing else. If the police officer does not file a police report, you should file a police report, either by visiting a nearby police station or filing a report online.
- Take photographic evidence of the scene, including property damage, injuries, etc. Furthermore, collect the names, addresses, emails, and phone numbers of any witness, the contact information of the police, and the name, address, phone number, email, driver license, and insurance information of the other motorist.
- Seek medical treatment ASAP. The longer you wait, the more grievous and devastating any injuries may become. Furthermore, it is advised to file a claim with insurance as soon as you are able.
- Inform the doctor of the accident. Have them record your injuries as well as the treatment. Retain copies of your medical bills.
- Contact a motorcycle accident attorney. Let the attorney handle communication with the insurance companies. They will do their best to make sure you have
Tips to stay safe
- Wear the proper safety gear. Wear a helmet, knee pads, gloves, etc.
- Obey traffic laws. Use proper hand gestures, stop at a stop sign, and follow the lights.
- Watch out for trucks and other vehicles. Drive defensively and be sure to keep an eye constantly on your surroundings.
When should you consider hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer?
Unfortunately, insurance carriers often tend to work against the interest of motorcycle injury victims. Insurance adjusters’ jobs are to protect the company’s bottom line, so they will attempt to either deny the injury claims or pay out as little as possible.
It is thus recommended to seek the help of a motorcycle personal injury lawyer. Until then, do not make any statements or sign any forms. A motorcycle accident lawyer in the Palm Beach Gardens area will help you receive the settlement you deserve and avoid being manipulated by your insurance.
You should hire an attorney if you:
- Have an injury from the motorcycle accident that will remain chronic and debilitating
- Are experiencing unethical/unfair practices from your insurance company
- Need help navigating the settlement process
What does a motorcycle accident lawyer do?
A motorcycle accident attorney advocates for victims involved in motorcycle accidents. The steps these personal injury attorneys take are as follows:
- Gather as much evidence as possible for the victim. This includes working with investigative teams, retrieving records and medical bills, and contacting witnesses.
- Communicate with the insurance company at first and see if a settlement on the insurance policy is possible.
- If the insurance company refuses to budge on their stance, then the attorney will help you file a lawsuit against the at-fault party, so that you’ll be compensated for your injuries.
Consult a motorcycle accident lawyer
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident that wasn’t caused by you and live in the Palm Beach Gardens area, you should consult a Steinberg Law attorney right away.
Our law attorneys work with accident victims by pursuing the compensation they deserve – for lost wages, pain and suffering, rehabilitation expenses, and medical bills – in the event the insurance company denies a claim unfairly. So seek legal representation and contact us today!