When gas prices soared and hit a new record high in the spring of 2022, people turned to cycling- not only as a hobby but as a way to slash their gas expenses. Unfortunately, more bikes on the road also means more personal injuries in Royal Palm Beach due to bike accidents. If you’re saying no to sticker shock at the pump, or if you simply love to cycle regardless of the increase in petrol prices, be sure to follow these safety tips to help keep you safe while cycling.
Here Are the Top Cycling Safety Rules of the Road to Help Avoid Personal Injuries in Royal Palm Beach
Before You Ride:
- Fully inspect all of your equipment before you go, making sure everything is in good working order, your seat is adjusted to the proper height and locked, and your tires are properly inflated.
- Install safety gear including a headlight, horn, rear light, reflectors on pedals and spokes, and mirror.
- Know the hand signals necessary for cyclists to communicate with drivers and other cyclists.
When You Ride:
- Always wear a helmet that is properly fitted, since protective headwear can prevent 50% of head injuries when cycling.
- Avoid busy streets whenever possible.
- Follow all traffic laws, stopping at traffic lights and stop signs and using hand signals whennecessary.
- Make sure drivers can see you by staying visible, using lights on your bike, and wearing reflectiveclothing.
- Stay focused. Eliminate distractions such as cell phones.
- Take up the whole lane in areas with a lot of driveways, parking lots, and / or side streets,especially in high-traffic areas, so that you can be seen. Don’t hug the curb in these areas.
- Try to avoid cycling during 6 pm to 9 pm when daylight is dwindling and traffic may be increased, as over 20% of fatal bike accidents occur in the evening.
Injured From a Cycling Accident? You Want the Most Skilled Personal Injury Lawyers on Your Side!
No matter how safe you are while cycling, you can’t guarantee that everyone else on the road is going to follow safety rules. If you’ve been injured in a cycling accident, call our experienced attorneys specializing in personal injuries in Royal Palm Beach today at 1-877-STEIN11 for your free case evaluation!
We don’t get paid unless you do and we’ve recovered millions of dollars in injury compensation for people just like you. Don’t accept any settlement offer until you speak with our personal injury lawyers in Delray Beach to see how we can help you receive fair compensation!